Frequently Asked Questions

Dining FAQs

Expand all

When are residential dining locations open?

All residential dining facilities are open from 7 a.m. - 8 p.m. Monday - Friday, and Pioneer Hall is open 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. Comstock, Middlebrook, and Sanford dining facilities are open at 10:30 a.m - 8 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. 17th Avenue, Bailey, and Pioneer are open from 7 a.m. - 8 p.m.

Why do dining halls sometimes close early?

The dining halls may close early based on the staff available. M Food Co. makes changes to service hours in response to staffing levels anticipated as soon as we know who will be working.

Why isn’t there enough food available?

Food availability is based on staffing levels and who is available to prepare and serve the food. Please ask a manager for assistance if something needs to be filled.

Where can I find information about hours of all dining locations and their menus?

How can students easily find foods that fit their dietary needs? Are they available at every residential dining location? Can meat and dairy be handled in a gluten-free kitchen so those with a gluten allergy can eat those foods as well?

The residential dining halls have dedicated areas for allergen friendly foods and some locations have separated stations to reduce the risk of cross contamination. These stations are located at Pioneer, 17th Avenue, Middlebrook and Sanford.

How does the University support students with dietary restrictions?

Students with dietary restrictions are invited to contact the registered dietitian for campus, Amy Hommes, to schedule a one-on-one appointment.

How many students are affected by the dining staffing shortages/shortened hours of operation for residential dining locations, etc.?

The University has over 5,000 students living in residence halls that use residential dining locations.

When will staffing shortages be resolved?

We do not have an exact date at this time, however, the University and its dining vendor, Chartwells, are thoroughly exploring all options available to resolve staffing shortages as soon as possible.

Could the residential dining plan be expanded so U Cards could be used in non-residential hall dining locations?

The University and Chartwells are considering all options available at this time. Retail food locations are limited on campus due to staffing shortages as well, and we are also working to add staff to these locations.

What is the student wage to work in dining? How can I apply?

We are working to hire as many students as possible. Student dining workers are University of Minnesota employees and are offered a starting wage of $15.75. Visit M Food Co.’s Jobs website